In Washington, students interested in an internship should illustrate a desire to take a hands-on approach to the legislative process. Their primary roles will include:
· Handling mail and assist with phones
· Compiling legislative research,
· Conducting Capitol tours
· Writing legislative correspondence
· Attend committee hearings
· Gathering news clippings
· Assisting with management of the constituent database
· Assisting with scheduling requests
Besides the above listed office duties, my staff works with interns to involve them in the educational opportunities available in Congress and Washington, D.C. For instance, the intern coordinator will keep interns aware of lectures and seminars taking place in and around the Capitol. We also coordinate tour activities for interns while they are in Washington.
To inquire about internships in my D.C. office, please contact Patrick O'Connor at 202-225-1640 or send my office an e-mail.