I would like to share with you several updates during my work week in Washington, D.C.
Visit to Randolph Field ISD
On Friday, I visited Randolph Field Independent School District at Randolph Air Force Base. I enjoyed meeting with students, district administrative staff, board members, and base command as I toured the base and school campuses. We discussed the importance of Impact Aid funds and the role it plays in educating the children of our active military personnel.
Congressman Cuellar meets with students at the Randolph ISD and discusses ways in which his office can be of assistance to the district.
Congressman Cuellar greets students during a tour of the Randolph ISD in which he discussed funding for school districts and education issues.
Wilson County Health Insurance Marketplace Community Workshop
Congressman Cuellar's office hosts a community workshop for Wilson County residents to provide more information about the health insurance marketplace.
This week, I hosted a Health Insurance Marketplace Community Workshop for residents of Wilson County. The event was free, open to the public, and gave participants the opportunity to enroll for health insurance with the assistance of certified organizations.
In Wilson County, 21% of residents do not have health insurance, some of whom may be eligible for coverage under the new Health Insurance Marketplace. I would like to thank all of the local agencies and organizations that partnered with us to host this event:
- Young Invincibles
- Enroll America
- Alamo Area Council of Governments (AACOG)
- Wilson Community Health Center
- Texas Organizing Project
Congressman Cuellar’s Outreach Coordinator Pete Arguello with Mr. Kenneth Wiatrek after he signed up for a health insurance plan with Angelica Garza, a certified application counselor from Atascosa Health Center.
Almost 20 people attended the workshop and all had ample time for one on one questions with the various healthcare representatives. During the event, the Office of Congressman Cuellar and representatives from the Atascosa Health Centers helped two residents of Floresville, Mr. Kenneth Wiatrek and Ms. Dorie Perez, enroll in health care plans under the exchange.
New District Office for State Representative Longoria
Outreach Coordinator Alexis Gallegos in attendance at the opening of Texas State Representative Oscar Longoria's new District Office in Peñitas Texas.
Last week, Texas State Representative Oscar Longoria announced the Grand Opening of his District Office in Hidalgo County, Peñitas Texas. Alexis Gallegos, my Hidalgo County Outreach Coordinator, attended the opening and discussed how we can work together to improve services for our community. We congratulate Representative Longoria and wish him the best with his new office!
Lighting the San Antonio Riverwalk
Outreach Coordinators Pete Arguello and Gilbert Lafuente were on hand to help with the lighting of the San Antonio Riverwalk.
Lighting the Riverwalk in San Antonio is truly the beginning of the holiday season. My outreach coordinators, Pete Arguello and Gilbert Lafuente, volunteered this weekend to bring more light to a beautiful city.
Immigrants Boost the Texas Economy
Immigrants are a major driver of economic growth in Texas. A new report from the Federal Bank Reserve of Dallas illustrates the positive effects immigration has on our state.
- Foreign born individuals make up 21 percent of the workforce in
- Texas immigrants are more likely to be working in the labor force and
one-third less likely to be unemployed.
- Nearly 15 percent of recent domestic migrants hold a graduate or
professional degree, compared with 9 percent of the state population.
I invite you to read more about the report here to better understand how our state can address the opportunities and challenges of a large immigrant population.
Follow Me on Twitter
Congratulations to one of our outstanding interns, Perla Salazar, for receiving the CHLI Fall 2013 Fellow Spotlight! This fall, Perla worked in my Washington, D.C. office through the Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute (CHLI) Global Leaders Internship program. She did an outstanding job and brought a lot of enthusiasm to the team.
Congratulations to intern Perla Salazar for receiving the CHLI Fall 2013 Fellow Spotlight.
Thank you for all of your hard work and I wish you all the best on your future endeavors!
Congressman Henry Cuellar
| Latest News
El Paso Times, 12/2/2013: El Paso City Council today to consider hike in bridge tolls
Pleasanton Express, 11/27/2013: STRMC, AHC team up for Health Insurance session
Wilson County News, 11/27/2013: Marketplace Workshop for county is Dec. 5
This Week's Congressional Hearings
Education & Workforce Committee
Subcommittee on Workforce Protections
Examining Recent Actions by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Training
Keeping College Within Reach: Strengthening Pell Grants for Future Generations
Space, Science, & Technology Committee
Astrobiology: Search for Biosignatures in our Solar System and Beyond
Veterans Affairs Committee
Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs
Adjudicating VA’s Most Complex Disability Claims
Transportation and Infrastructure
Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation on Coast Guard Mission Execution
|Neighborhood Office Hours
|Do you need assistance with a federal agency? My Outreach Coordinators will be visiting throughout the 28th District this coming week.
Second Tuesday of Every Month
City Hall Conference Room
2 ½ Miles, South
Farm Rd 2360
La Grulla, TX.
Rio Grande City, City Hall
101 Washington Street,
Rio Grande City, TX.
Escobares City Hall
4851 E. Highway 83,
Roma Community Center
502 6th Street, Roma, TX
Elmendorf City Hall
203 Bexar Ave
9:30am - 10:00am
Floresville City Hall
1120 D Street
10:30am - 12:00pm
Encinal City Hall
107 N. Tejas
3:00pm - 4:00pm
Second Thursday of Every Month
Starr County Warehouse
Bldg. Pct. 4 FM 755,
San Isidro, TX.
Starr County Self Help Center
10 Mayorga St.
Rio Grande City, TX
11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m.
El Cenizo City Hall
507 Cadena St
9:30am - 10:30am
El Cenizo, TX
Rio Bravo City Hall
1701 Centeno Ln. 11:00am - 12:00pm
Rio Bravo, TX
St. Hedwig City Hall
13065 FM 1346
9:00am - 10:00am St.
Sutherland Springs (call for appointment)
10:30am - 11:30am
Sutherland Springs, TX
La Vernia City Hall
102 E Chihuahua
1:00pm - 2:00pm
La Vernia, TX
Wrap Up of This Week on the Floor
MONDAY, DECEMBER 2
House meets at 2:00 p.m
Recorded Votes will be postponed until 6:30 p.m.
Suspensions (3 bills)
1. H.R. 3547 - The Space Launch Liability Indemnification Extension Act ( Rep. Lamar Smith / Science, Space, and Technology)
2. H.R. 3626- To extend the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 for 10 years (Rep. Howard Coble / Judiciary)
3. H.R. 3588 - Community Fire Safety Act of 2013 (Rep. Bill Johnson / Energy and Commerce)
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 3
House meets at 10:00 a.m. for Morning Hour
Legislative Business begins at 12:00 p.m.
1. H.R. 1095 - TSA Loose Change Act Rep. Jeff Miller / Homeland Security)
2. H.R. 2719 - The Transportation Acquisition Security Reform Act (Rep. Richard Hudson / Homeland Security)
3. H.R. 1204 - The Aviation Security Stakeholder Participation Act of 2013 (Rep. Bennie Thompson / Homeland Security)
4. H.R. 255 - To amend certain definitions contained in the Provo River Project Transfer Act for purposes of clarifying certain property descriptions (Rep. Jason Chaffetz / Natural Resources)
5. H.R. 2388 - To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to take certain Federal lands located in El Dorado County, California, into trust for the benefit of the Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians (Rep. Tom McClintock / Natural Resources)
6. H.R. 1963 - Bureau of Reclamation Conduit Hydropower Development Equity and Jobs Act (Rep. Steve Daines / Natural Resources)
7. H.R. 1241 - To facilitate a land exchange involving certain National Forest System lands in the Inyo National Forest (Rep. Paul Cook / Natural Resources)
8. H.R. 1846 - Lower East Side Tenement National Historic Site Amendments Act (Rep. Nydia Velazquez / Natural Resources)
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 4,
AND THURSDAY, DECEMBER 5
On Wednesday, House meets at 10:00 a.m. for Morning Hour, Legislative Business begins at 12:00 p.m.
On Thursday, House meets at 9:00 a.m. for Morning Hour
H.R. 1105 - Small Business Capital Access and Job Preservation Act (Rep. Robert Hurt / Financial Services)
H.R. 3309 - Innovation Act - (Rep. Bob Goodlatte / Judiciary)
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 6
On Friday, the House will not be in session.